Our team just returned from assisting a client at a successful building and construction association event. By the final day of this year’s event, over 75% of the expo hall was already under contract and reserved for next year’s event. Can you imagine the non-dues revenue and time savings that this scenario could have for your association?
This is only possible with the realization that selling is never complete and the customer experience is as much a part of the sale as the close. A sale doesn’t end with the exchange of money. Sure, it’s great when you’ve closed a deal, whether it’s five dollars or five million, but your selling doesn’t end there. In fact, it simply can’t.
Gillin and Gianforte write in their book, Attack of the Customers, ‘…they may never consider a vendor because of a negative reference from a trusted source or even from someone they’ve never met’ and ‘A 2012 survey by ClickFox found that 33% of consumers said providing exceptional customer service was the best way to build loyalty.’
Associations looking to increase their non-dues revenue must make certain that the client continues to receive a positive ‘sales’ experience, for the organization’s sake as well as your own. In order to sell out your expo hall every year, it is paramount to be aware of ALL client interactions with customer service — to include accounts receivable, accounts payable, shipping, production, and more.
Some potential pitfalls during the client experience are:
- Difficulty finding needed information on the website or a complicated payment procedure.
- Being tardy delivering the service manual or pre-event information.
- Requiring customers to go to multiple different people and channels due to a fractured service delivery model.
- Not having enough customer service representatives to handle on-site troubleshooting at the event.
- Failing to ask for feedback immediately after the event and incorporating it into future strategy.
Our team has 20+ years of experience selling out expo halls and increasing non-dues revenue for associations. Our strategy is to work alongside you in partnership to grow your event. If you are ready to power up your revenue please contact us to schedule a free consultation.
You may also be interested in some of the other success stories we have cultivated for our clients.